• Banner002
  • Banner001
  • Banner005
  • Banner004
  • Banner003

Post 18 Support

How to Access Support for Dyslexic Students at University


What type of support is available?

The main support is the Disabled Students' Allowances. DSAs are grants to help pay the extra costs you may have as a direct result of your specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia or dyspraxia. You don't have to pay these back. The amount you get does NOT depend on your household income but it DOES depend on your needs assessment.

DSA can cover assistive technology including laptop, digital recorder and specialist software e.g text to speech (Read and Write or ClaroRead), speech to text (Dragon), mindmapping (Inspiration or Mind Genius or Mindjet), software to organise digital recordings (Audio Notetaker. Training on the software and hardware is also covered.

DSA is used for Non Medical Helpers i.e. study skills
support tutors. This is generally 30 hours (1 hour per week).A support session may include time management, organisation skills, reading skills, note taking, planning assignments, proof reading techniques, develop awareness of learning styles.

Other allowances include exam arrangements, extensions for coursework, extended library loans.

How do I get it?

Complete DSA 1 form on line. You will need a "post 16 diagnostic report" from a chartered or practitioner psychologist or a specialist teacher with a practising certificate.

Student Finance England (SFE) notify you by letter/email in approx 2 weeks if you qualify for DSA.

You arrange a "Needs Assessment" (visit National Network of Assessment centres online to find the nearest). Your interview will take between 1 – 2 hours. You receive your Needs Assessment Report outlining your support package. A copy is also sent to SFE.

As soon as you receive your confirmation letter from SFE, you can place your order for your equipment and training.